CorvetteValley.com  

Go Back   CorvetteValley.com > SIXTH GENERATION CORVETTES
> Sixth Generation Technical and Performance Forum

Old 12-02-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
Exterminator
Valley Scoop

Exterminator is on his way to becoming very cool!
Diy Z06 Remote Control Exhaust Switch

Here is a great toy for the C6Z06 at a bargain price. I tried pulling the fuse but didn't like the drone at low RPMs. I didn't want a hard wired switch because that required drilling and running wires, etc. Not what I wanted to do with my new Z06.

A friend of mine, Bob Franklin, hooked me up with a great alternative. It's a remote control switch which is either controlled by the included key fobs or the Homelink buttons on the visor, if so equipped.

I found out that Circuit City (mobile audio) has the fuse replacement that has accessible terminals that are easier to solder than modifying a standard fuse and soldering to that.

Just plug in the part numbers (without the “#”) in the search window and it will bring up each component.

Link to parts:
http://allelectronics.com/

THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE AT ALLECTRONICS
AT 800 826-5432 OR ONLINE ALLELECTRONICS.COM

1 #RC-10 $18.75 KEYCHAIN REMOTE
1 #FHP-25 1.50 FUSE HOLDER
1 #FSA-10 1.00 ATC FUSE 10 AMP

GET AN EXTRA FUSE LIKE THE ONE IN YOUR

FUSE BLOCK FOR THE EXHAUST.

THE ONLY REAL WORK IS PREPARING A FUSE

AS THE CONNECTOR TO YOUR FUSE PANEL.

FIRST WE ARE GOING TO BLOW THE FUSE, DO

THIS BY TOUCHING ONE SIDE TO BATTERY

AND THE OTHER TO GROUND, AFTER THAT IS

DONE, YOU NEED TO FILE TOP OF FUSE TO

GET TO METAL TO SOLDER TO, SOLDER THE

RED AND WHITE WIRE TO THE FUSE. AFTER

THAT, CUT THE RED WIRE ABOUT 4 INCHES
UP FROM THE FUSE, REMOVE ABOUT 2

INCHES OF THE RED WIRE. THE FUSE HOLDER

WILL GO IN BETWEEN THE TWO RED WIRES.
YOU CAN PUT HEAT SHRINK INSULATION ON
THE CONNECTION OR TAPE THEM. PUT A 10
FUSE IN THE HOLDER. ON THE BLACK WIRE,

PUT AN WIRE EYELET AND ATTACH IT TO

GROUND SCREW OF THE BCM MODULE. PLUG
DEVICE INTO FUSE BLOCK WITH RED WIRE TO

RIGHT. IF YOU GET IT BACKWARDS, NOTHING

WILL HAPPEN, JUST WONT WORK.
Exterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Wishuwerehere82
Valley Wine Connoisseur

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
I'm confused. Where is the reciever that switches the fuse?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
KOPBET
Valley Bartender and Agent Provocateur

KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuwerehere82
I'm confused. Where is the reciever that switches the fuse?
Included with this part number: RC-10 $18.75 KEYCHAIN REMOTE

There are also these taps available rather than soldering to the fuse.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
EFE Z06
Valley Diamond Supporting Member, Valley's Steet King and Party Animal

EFE Z06 is on his way to becoming very cool!
Here are a few pictures showing the finished product.

The red wire has the added fuse in line. This fuse is larger in size than the stock fuse and comes 5 in a pack from All Electronics.

The white and red wire end with a mini 10 watt (blown fuse) soldered at the end of the wires. This is the same size as comes in the Corvette fuse panel.

The 2 black wires are ground wires joined together with a 1/8 inch eye terminal. You can see (in the installed picture below) where the ground wire is attached.

The blue wire is the antenna wire. Run it up behind the metal box where the ground wire is attached. Everything neatly tucks in the large open hole to the left of the fuse panel and under the metal box, you can see the receiver inside the hole.

You can see I used heat shrink tubing on the wires (1/4") and the fuse (3/4"), it assures no bare wires are exposed!

EFE Z06

Last edited by EFE Z06; 12-02-2006 at 06:48 AM.
EFE Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
EFE Z06

What's neat about this remote unit is that you can get out of the car while leaving it running and demo the sound of the exhaust opened and closed, people are blown away when they hear it! I don't think there has ever been a car built with a remote control exhaust system.
Thank you GM!

EFE Z06

PS:
If any don't have the tools or soldering abilities and feel they are not capable of building their own switch, I built and tested several that are "For Sale" for $50 + $4.05 shipping (3 Day Priority Mail). A retail vendor on another Corvette site is selling them for $85 + shipping, a little expensive in my opinion.

Last edited by EFE Z06; 12-02-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
EFE Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPBET

I'm not sure those taps come in the mini fuse size, the ones in your picture are the same size as the fuses that come from ALL Electronics, they are too big to fit into the fuse socket in the Corvette fuse panel. The stock mini fuse is pretty small as you can see in my pictures above. The size you show is in the black fuse holder in the picture, quite a bit bigger than a mini fuse.

EFE Z06
Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Parrot Z51
Move Over, I'm Driving!

Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
WOW!!!!!!!

Technical information on the Valley!!!!!!! Now that is what I am talking about!

Thanks Exterminator for this information!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to have to master doing oil changes first before I try this out. Oh and to get a C6!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great weekend!!!!!!
Parrot Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Wishuwerehere82
Valley Wine Connoisseur

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Wishuwerehere82 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPBET

I guess I didn't read through the item decription well enough..
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Exterminator
Valley Scoop

Exterminator is on his way to becoming very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Parrot
WOW!!!!!!!

Technical information on the Valley!!!!!!! Now that is what I am talking about!

Thanks Exterminator for this information!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to have to master doing oil changes first before I try this out. Oh and to get a C6!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great weekend!!!!!!
You are quite welcome! And thank you for the venue to post the info. I like to share money saving opportunities with my fellow enthusiasts. There are some vendors charging over $100 for the same device.

And many thanks to Ed for taking the time to shoot, host and post the photos of the finished and installed unit. Nice job Ed!

Actually putting a remote together is a snap. The most challenging part of the operation is grinding the plastic off of the top of the fuse to expose metal. And the installation is a breeze. My wife installed ours while I was tying my shoes, getting ready to go show her how! I guess I learned something that day.
Exterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
c6d
Valley's Rabid Dog

c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator
... I like to share money saving opportunities with my fellow enthusiasts. ...
'Ya know, IMHO, that's what Corvette forums are supposed to be all about...

Unlike most Corvette sites where worthless webmasters exploit enthusiasts for personal gain, Corvette Valley actually puts the Corvette enthusiast first. There's no focus on vendor revenue and the Valley doesn't answer to anyone except the membership.

So a personal thanks to the Parrot for hosting this REAL Corvette site. Thanks also to Exterminator for the cool post AND concern about saving us DIY'ers $50.

C'ya
D
c6d is offline   Reply With Quote