CorvetteValley.com  

Go Back   CorvetteValley.com > COMMUNITY
> Valley's Grapevine Lounge

Old 07-30-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
KOPBET
Valley Bartender and Agent Provocateur

KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...KOPBET has a low tolerance for FAKES & LIARS, be careful...
Car buying made easy.

a. You pick out the car with options that you want to buy.
b. I'll negotiate the purchase and obtain your approval of the price.
c. You send me the money to buy the car and I pick it up.

How's that for a deal?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #12
c6d
Valley's Rabid Dog

c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeknutz
Just one word Carmax! I never fealt like I got the auger up the a$$ good people to work with!
Of course each Carmax is its own personality.. just be careful not to assume all of their outlets are going to be the way to go.

Duarte, CA.. My first dealings with them when the local BMW dealer suggested we could do better than his trade-in quote there. We already had trade-in quotes on a 2000 I30 Infinity, from three other BMW dealers.

They greeted us in the parking lot, logged us in and directed us to the podium at the entrance where we were told an buyer/appraiser would be with us in a few moments. The place is huge and there were only a few customers about. After 40 minutes of wandering around while waiting, we approached the new poduim receptionist asking what was taking so long. Seems OUR podium guy had gone on break and failed to tell anyone we were waiting...
O.K., we'll give it another 15.

So the buyer/appraiser comes out to look over a pristine, low mileage, needs absolutely nothing, Infinity with VHTF and desireable black interior. After 25 more minutes we get shuffled into an office cubicle and the deal maker offers much less than even the lowest dealer and no where near Kelley Blue Book value.

Now this place is humongous with hanging awards allocades dated back like ten years. Highest sales volume in the nation.... Now you may think with all that highest nationwise sales volume you'd be a bit accommodated as you wait... SORRY ..

No T.V in the waiting area.
The numerous computers about only allow access to Carmax sales info.
No refreshments unless you vending machine buy.

And of course once I told the folks c'ya, ALL OF A SUDDEN 3-4 salesmen are begging me back.. Where where these guys when I sat around for an hour???

Will I ever go back to Carmax...
c6d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #13
Nut
Platinum Valley Supporting Member and Valley Consigliere

Nut has a spectacular aura about him.Nut has a spectacular aura about him.
The Parrot walking away from a confrontation? Unbelieveable. I grew up in a car dealership as my dad was a salesman and I worked the lot as a summer job in HS. They're all shifty, coniving, cheats in their own way. There's good sales people, and some dealerships that are top notch; but THAT will take some real research. c5d as usual had a load of good advise.

As for Carmax..... I've never bought one personally, but both my sons have bought cars at one in the DC/Balmer area. Basically they have some cash, they want "That" car and the deal is done. One oldest has used the 3 days deal to alter financing (using his credit union) and the deals were pretty simple and painless. there are stories out there of nightmare proportions dealing with Carmax but for the most part it seems like "what you see is what you get".

Now.... on the down side of Carmax...... try getting some repair work done under their "warrantee" time. HA!!!!! THAT is another story all together.

Parrot.... I'm sure some lucky car dealer down on Federal Hwy will get a taste of some of the Parrot charm and suck you into a nice deal.

Capt........
Old 07-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
9T8Vette
Gold Valley Supporting Member

9T8Vette is just one cool mother to hang out with.9T8Vette is just one cool mother to hang out with.9T8Vette is just one cool mother to hang out with.9T8Vette is just one cool mother to hang out with.
I have one i will share .A dealership was offering $2500 on any car to trade in.So i take in a old work van that was worth maybe grand or so.We make a deal on a car and i did not take in consideration that cash price and trade R 2 different prices.Well we buy a new car and 3 weeks later i go back bye the dealership and what do i see my old van with a new paint , new tires and some others little items .The van was for 4 sale for $1600. Right when i new those bastards ripped me off .So i had to stop and look around and found that a car just like mine was $4000 cheaper I was young and dumb then, it's still is a tough game to play buying a car
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
Parrot Z51
Move Over, I'm Driving!

Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
Dealer Tricks

I found some really interesting information here about dealer tricks:

Click me!

I have actually come across some of these before. However, are they saying purchasing gap insurance is a trick????????? I always though it was important to get gap insurance on your new car?
Parrot Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
Parrot Z51
Move Over, I'm Driving!

Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Parrot Z51 deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
Dealer Prep or Dealer Handling Charges

Have any of you had any luck getting to dealer to drop this ridiculous charge? I mean most dealers I have seen charge 600 or more dollars for this. They vacuum, clean, take the plastic wrapping off the cars, take it for a test drive, wash it, etc in what in hour, maybe two?

I like how the charge is usually preprinted on the bill of sale. I usually tell them to cross it off. Most dealers will tell you it is required. I tell them I'll go elsewhere. I have have walked out of dealership because of this charge. Then I will call another dealer in the area, tell them the price I want the car for (as I already negotiated a great price) and tell them if they sell me the car with NO dealer prep then I will pick up the car. I have had success with this before. But, most dealers I have seen don't like to part with this dealer prep thing though.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Parrot Z51
Move Over, I'm Driving!

Hey I found a really great site with loads of helpful information.

Click me!

I like what I read about dealer holdback being included in the invoice price.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
c6d
Valley's Rabid Dog

c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.c6d is someone that you should look up to and be proud of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Parrot
Hey I found a really great site with loads of helpful information.

Click me!

I like what I read about dealer holdback being included in the invoice price.
Really great info there!!!

Only thing he didn't mention is the reason MBZ treats you well in the service dept. is you'll be spending alot of time there..

c6d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
Speedie
Gold Valley Supporting Member

Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.Speedie deserves a bunch of mods for their corvette for free.
The title of this thread is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one: Car Dealership - Good Stories?

My stories are all horror stories, including when I bought Sweet04. They saw me coming from a mile away, and had the screws ready when I walked in the door. Let's just say, I paid too much (no comments from the peanut gallery...you know who you are ). I wanted the car soooooo much, that it didn't matter at the time.... Just gimme the keys and seeya'.

My next Vette will be a much wiser purchase.

Good luck and best wishes, Parrot
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #20
Vette_Newb
Valley Wine Connoisseur

Vette_Newb is just one cool mother to hang out with.Vette_Newb is just one cool mother to hang out with.Vette_Newb is just one cool mother to hang out with.Vette_Newb is just one cool mother to hang out with.
Being a master of the "Four Square" and having been the "floor manager" / "Lot manager" etc.. many many times, I say you did the right thing by hauling ---. Those places are slaughterhouses and even if you get a decent deal you feel dirty / and violated after its all over.

A reputable dealer will let the salesman work the entire deal to about $500 over invoice, and then the manager usually must make any further cuts and he will offer you a price that they feel they can sell the car for, take it or leave it. The invioce is hardly what a dealer pays for the car, there are things like "pack" "holdback" and dealer incentives that aren't advertised to the general public. Profit is not a dirty word and you can make a fair profit without playing games with your customers.

Take the sticker price X 91% and thats pretty close to "invoice", from there you work the deal as hard as you can until they tell you at least 2 times that they can't go lower, at that point get up, and thank them for thier time. Thats when you will find the "best price" for that vehicle.

Good luck.