PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion

Mike Terry
03-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Below is a link to a 63 Corvette Coupe. The asking price is $44,500 but I got the guy down to $40,000 and I haven't went to see the car yet. The car has original motor and color is right for the interior BUT the outside should be Blue according to the trim tag. It is a 5 1/2 hr. drive for me to go look at the car, should I go or not and is it worth $40K ?????
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/out.php?id=11455
Let me know what you think. I am to go look at it on Wed. if I go. The car was built in Dec. 1962 and has the frosted hub caps that were only on the early 63 Vettes.

Parrot Z51
03-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi Mike Terry!

Quite frankly it concerns me right off the bat that the vehicle is painted red when clearly it should be blue. The advertisement boasts how it is a numbers matching car, so why would anyone want to paint the car a different color? That just doesn't sit well with me.

If it was me, I would pass and look for another. But that is just me. Especially if it would take over 5 hours to get there!!!!!!
:cheers:

Mike Terry
03-05-2006, 02:09 AM
I think the ad says matching # engine, not the hole car. I think I will pass on it. I did find a number matching 63 coupe survivor 64K mls in good shape. All it needs is seat covers. The guy told me last time I talked to him that he did not want to sell it but maybe now he may. I am going to ask him again.

Parrot Z51
03-05-2006, 02:27 AM
I think the ad says matching # engine, not the hole car. I think I will pass on it. I did find a number matching 63 coupe survivor 64K mls in good shape. All it needs is seat covers. The guy told me last time I talked to him that he did not want to sell it but maybe now he may. I am going to ask him again.
The survivor sounds more appealing to me!!!!!!! Please keep us posted! This is very exciting!!!!!!

:party:

Mike Terry
03-05-2006, 02:47 AM
If anyone in this forum knows of a 63 Split Window Coupe that is For Sale I would like to know about it. You can e-mail me at Mikes54vet@aol.com
My garage looks empty now with just the 54 Vette in it and wife put her PT Cruiser in there, but it will have to go when I get another Vette.

Parrot Z51
03-05-2006, 02:52 AM
If anyone in this forum knows of a 63 Split Window Coupe that is For Sale I would like to know about it. You can e-mail me at Mikes54vet@aol.com
My garage looks empty now with just the 54 Vette in it and wife put her PT Cruiser in there, but it will have to go when I get another Vette.
Are you looking for an all original car with Bloomington Gold and NCRS awards that just sits in your garage 24/7/365??????

Or just a daily type driver car for fun and excitement and do not mind it not being in original condition?

Mike Terry
03-05-2006, 03:19 AM
Not looking for a NCRS Top Flight car nor a Bloomington Gold car. I would like a nice driver that is in good shape and mostly original. It will be my driver Vette. My 54 Vette is my baby, although I have thought about selling it. I have done about everything that I can do with her, from on display for NCRS in Canada, display at Bloomington Gold and most of all on display for GM all in 2004. After all that there is not much left. She has been in several Corvette magazines as well. I would probably cry if I sold her but I would want her to go to someone that would take care of her. She has even been on display for the NCM in Bowling Green.

Parrot Z51
03-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Very well, Mike Terry! We will keep our eyes open for one!!!!!!!

Sarge
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Mike Terry!

Quite frankly it concerns me right off the bat that the vehicle is painted red when clearly it should be blue. The advertisement boasts how it is a numbers matching car, so why would anyone want to paint the car a different color? That just doesn't sit well with me.

If it was me, I would pass and look for another. But that is just me. Especially if it would take over 5 hours to get there!!!!!!

:agree: Take a look at buyavette.net

Mike Terry
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Someone from New York State sent me an e-mail and pic's of his 63 SWC and told me he wanted $36K for it. When I contacted him he said his wife did not want to sell. Hell if my wife saw $36K cash she would sell me and all corvettes. The guy would not even give me his name or phone number for me to call him. We just IM back and forth. OH well I would have driven from Indiana to NY to see the car, but guess wife rules there. I sent buyavette.com a note telling them what I am looking for, just have to wait to hear back from them. Mean while I am a serious buyer just SOLD my 66 Corvette and looking for a nice driver 63 SWC so if anyone knows of one for sale or has one for sale contact me at mikes54vet@aol.com with info on the car or where to get info on it. Not interested in NCRS car or Bloomington Gold car. I want a nice driver.

Parrot Z51
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Someone from New York State sent me an e-mail and pic's of his 63 SWC and told me he wanted $36K for it. When I contacted him he said his wife did not want to sell. Hell if my wife saw $36K cash she would sell me and all corvettes. The guy would not even give me his name or phone number for me to call him. We just IM back and forth. OH well I would have driven from Indiana to NY to see the car, but guess wife rules there. I sent buyavette.com a note telling them what I am looking for, just have to wait to hear back from them. Mean while I am a serious buyer just SOLD my 66 Corvette and looking for a nice driver 63 SWC so if anyone knows of one for sale or has one for sale contact me at mikes54vet@aol.com with info on the car or where to get info on it. Not interested in NCRS car or Bloomington Gold car. I want a nice driver.
YUP! Forget about the one in NY! They are obviously fighting over whether to keep or sell the car. Don't get yourself involved in that mess!

Parrot Z51
03-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Check this one out!!!!!!!!!

It is on the left coast, but man it looks pretty!!!!!!!

click me for the advertisement!!!!!! (http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/out.php?id=12899)

:wow:

Parrot Z51
03-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Take a look at this baby!!!!!!

Click me to see this advertisment!!!!!! (http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/out.php?id=12698)

:wow:

Mike Terry
03-06-2006, 02:00 AM
I have seen those 2 Vettes, that same site is where I saw the 63 for $44500 and I got the guy down to $40k. That is the site I sold my 66 Vette on. That is the range of money I am wanting to stay in, $35K to about $40K, but Thank You for looking for me. I have been all over this internet looking. I am in no hurry, something will pop up.

mqqn
03-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Below is a link to a 63 Corvette Coupe. The asking price is $44,500 but I got the guy down to $40,000 and I haven't went to see the car yet. The car has original motor and color is right for the interior BUT the outside should be Blue according to the trim tag. It is a 5 1/2 hr. drive for me to go look at the car, should I go or not and is it worth $40K ?????
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/out.php?id=11455
Let me know what you think. I am to go look at it on Wed. if I go. The car was built in Dec. 1962 and has the frosted hub caps that were only on the early 63 Vettes.

Hi Mike -

If the car has the correct engine and corresponding casting numbers are correct, then it would be a good starting point for a correct restoration.

The question becomes this - do you want a driver, or a correct, original car?

Correct, original cars are not for driving - they are investments - and at the price you are looking at (IMO) it is not an good investment.

This car might be good for driving a few years and then restoring, if it has the one year only parts of a 63.

With corvettes more than any other breed of automobile, originality and correctness are prime. That it is a wrong color only hurts if its originality matters to you (i.e. you are buying for an investment).

For that kind of cash, you could have a very nice, well maintained, original 2002+ Z06 that will out-perform the 63 in every facet of the automotive realm (excepting only age....), and you would be able to enjoy it day in and day out.

If you are looking for a corect original, steer clear. That is my opinion.

best regards -

mqqn

be

Mike Terry
03-06-2006, 11:13 AM
mqqn,
I don't want a 2002 Z06 all the new cars are nice and run well + ride better then old vettes but , the price on then drop each year as the older cars the price goes up every year. I want my cake and eat it to I guess. My 66 vette was my driver and it also was a nice clean and good looking local show car. Just like my 54 Vette. It has been restore, been in about 12 Corvette magazines, on display for NCRS in Canada, Bloomington Gold, and General Motors called me and payed me to put it on display for them, and I did, also on display for Mid America at there Corvette Fun Fest. I still drive this car locally and have driven it to Bowling Green from Indianapolis several times, and to Effingham to Corvette Fun Fest. I want a Corvette to show at car shows and DRIVE. To ME Corvettes are to be driven. Although I did trailer my 54 to Canada and Detroit. I just like the older Corvettes, to me they have CLASS. Not that the newer cars arn't nice and I like them also. I just like the old stuff. I have owened about 15 Corvettes in the past 12 yrs and the newest one I have owned was a 1982, and the shortist time owned was 3 months. I buy a Corvette with the intent of keeping it and then I get tired of it and see something else I like so I sell what I have and buy what I like.

Parrot Z51
03-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Now that I have a good idea what you are looking for, Mike Terry I will keep my eyes open for you and present ones that may interest you.

How far are you willing to travel to get one that is in your price range and has the things you are looking for?

Mike Terry
03-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Z06 Parrot
Check out this 63 Vette I found this morning. I have talked to them today, several times and have all the important # and it looks like a # matching car. They are holding the car for me to look at, with a sale pending on it. I am driving there Wed, over 700 mls. about 12+ hrs according to map quest. I am taking a trailer just in case I buy it, I will bring it back with me. The guy I talked to rated the car a 7+ on a scale of 1 to 10, and 10 being a Bloonington Gold car so it looks like what I have been hunting for. He has also sent me about I told wife this morning I was going to New York to look at a car she said SO. I guess that means OK.
http://www.usfreeads.com/439092-cls.html
Like I said they are holding the car for me so if anyone else comes along they will have to stand in line.
Mike

mqqn
03-07-2006, 05:02 AM
mqqn,
I don't want a 2002 Z06 all the new cars are nice and run well + ride better then old vettes but , the price on then drop each year as the older cars the price goes up every year. I want my cake and eat it to I guess. My 66 vette was my driver and it also was a nice clean and good looking local show car. Just like my 54 Vette. It has been restore, been in about 12 Corvette magazines, on display for NCRS in Canada, Bloomington Gold, and General Motors called me and payed me to put it on display for them, and I did, also on display for Mid America at there Corvette Fun Fest. I still drive this car locally and have driven it to Bowling Green from Indianapolis several times, and to Effingham to Corvette Fun Fest. I want a Corvette to show at car shows and DRIVE. To ME Corvettes are to be driven. Although I did trailer my 54 to Canada and Detroit. I just like the older Corvettes, to me they have CLASS. Not that the newer cars arn't nice and I like them also. I just like the old stuff. I have owened about 15 Corvettes in the past 12 yrs and the newest one I have owned was a 1982, and the shortist time owned was 3 months. I buy a Corvette with the intent of keeping it and then I get tired of it and see something else I like so I sell what I have and buy what I like.

Hi Mike -

At least you know what you are getting into -

I love a guy who drives his cars. That is what they were made for.

I guess my answer was a good one - considering you did not really say what you intended to do with the car, and you are a older car veteran.

I generally try to steer new owners away from older cars because (as you probably know) they end to be money pits and they cannot be driven like a "daily driver" if that is what someone is expecting.

Heck - most kids nowadays never had to set a point gap or change plugs every 20k miles...damn I sound like an old man now...:rofl1:

An older car will not necessarily appreciate if you USE it, BTW. It can (and likely will) slowly depreciate...just like a newer one. "Patina" and wear is not a selling point on a collector car - and it is unavoidable if the car is driven to any great degree.

If you are just flipping them (15 cars in 12 years...) - then you can get away with a few trips and putting a couple thousand miles on one before you sell it. That is actually a pretty good way to go for a man who loves the classics.

I like the silver 327 4 speed car better than the earlier car, nice choice!

Good luck and I sincerely hope it turns out to be what you are searching for. :cheers:

pics when you get it home!!!

best regards -

mqqn

Mike Terry
03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
mqqm,
I have never bought a corvette with the intent of flipping it. I have always bought what I like with the intent of keeping it. After awhile I get tired of it or run out of things to do different with it, like different car shows to take it to etc.. After awhile everyone knows my cars from me making the rounds at local car shows or from being in local parades. So then I see something else I like better then what I have and say, what the heck I will sell this and get another car I like better. One good thing about it, I always buy cars that go up in value and have always made $$$ on the cars I sell. So I figured it up and in the past 12 yrs. I have make enough $$$ that this 63 SWC is FREE and FREE is good . My wife, not knowing crap about cars or the value of them cannot understand why I want this car. She said ( you can buy a new car for the price you are going to pay for THAT ) and I tell her yeah but that new car will go down in value where as this classic will go up in value. It is better then $$$ in the bank. I think if I buy this 63 SWC I will be done buying and selling Corvettes. After all who all do you know that has a 54 and a 63 SWC other then collecters. To me this will be the cream of the crop.

mqqn
03-07-2006, 02:13 PM
mqqm,
I have never bought a corvette with the intent of flipping it. I have always bought what I like with the intent of keeping it. After awhile I get tired of it or run out of things to do different with it, like different car shows to take it to etc.. After awhile everyone knows my cars from me making the rounds at local car shows or from being in local parades. So then I see something else I like better then what I have and say, what the heck I will sell this and get another car I like better. One good thing about it, I always buy cars that go up in value and have always made $$$ on the cars I sell. So I figured it up and in the past 12 yrs. I have make enough $$$ that this 63 SWC is FREE and FREE is good . My wife, not knowing crap about cars or the value of them cannot understand why I want this car. She said ( you can buy a new car for the price you are going to pay for THAT ) and I tell her yeah but that new car will go down in value where as this classic will go up in value. It is better then $$$ in the bank. I think if I buy this 63 SWC I will be done buying and selling Corvettes. After all who all do you know that has a 54 and a 63 SWC other then collecters. To me this will be the cream of the crop.

Hi Mike -

I can't wait to see your pics of the splitty - I always loved those (who am I kidding - I never saw a vette I didn't like :D )

Have you ever posted pics of the 54 for us to enjoy?

We had a question on here last year about 54's - did the non v8 54's have a "v" logo in the side trim? you might know that.

best regards -

mqqn

Mike Terry
03-10-2006, 02:34 AM
All 1954 Corvettes were 6 cyl. but 1 or 2 that were V8-265cid that they made up for test that would go in the 1955 Corvettes. The big V in the script writing on the front fender on both sides that you are talking about is only on the 55 Corvette, the 54 never had that V, and it was a GOLD finish. I just got home at 7:30pm with the 63 SWC and when I get pic, I would have to send them to someone to post. I am a PC dummy and have never posted pic's before. I would also send pic's of my 54 Vette also if they want to post them. I would need someones e-mail address to send them to so they can post them. Just drovr 1560 mls. round trip to get this car and it is nice. They could have got about $55K for it but, OH well I got it now, and it is not for sell. All original car.

mqqn
03-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi Mike -

Have you tried using our gallery to upload pics? It works very well and is very easy to use for computer beginners in my opinion -

But - if you have trouble and want me to hos t the picture for you - I would be very happy to do so!

Congrats on the fine purchase!!! I can't wait to see the pictures -

for my email Id - use my forum name here (mqqn) @iammoon.com

Once again - congrats and I can't wait to see the pics!

best regards -

mqqn

Mike Terry
03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
No 54 Vette that I know of had the Gold V in the script writing that was only 55 Corvettes. Even the 2 or 3 V8 54 test cars did not have it. I posted a reply last night, but I didn't see it go up posted so here we go again. I bought the 63 SWC and have it in the garage now. It is an all orginial car, I checked the numbers. I don't think they checked the numbers or the car would have been $55K or more. I will take some pic's but I will have to send them to someone who knows how to post them. I have never done that and am not that sharp on the PC. so if someone want to e-mail me with there e-mail address I will send pic's of the 54 and the 63 when I take them. I drove 1560 miles round trip to get and bring home the car in 24 hrs of driving. Not bad time for pulling it thru New York and Pen. hills. I was glad to get home and go to sleep. I was out like a bad light bulb. The 63 SWC has 77322 mls on it and is VERY NICE, but has 1 dinged up hub cap that they are going to replace and send to me. I told my wife that I have the 2 Corvettes that I want and I will not be selling or trading anymore Corvettes. Well you can guess her answer to that, after I have been thru about 15 Vettes in 12 years. Anyway if someone wants to send me there E-Mail address that knows how to post pic's I will send ones of the 54 and the 63 SWC when I take them. I will be kinda busy today unloading trailer, getting plates and title change, etc. but I will do it ASAP.
mikes54vet@aol.com Mike

Parrot Z51
03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I bought the 63 SWC and have it in the garage now. It is an all orginial car, I checked the numbers. I don't think they checked the numbers or the car would have been $55K or more. I will take some pic's but I will have to send them to someone who knows how to post them. I have never done that and am not that sharp on the PC. so if someone want to e-mail me with there e-mail address I will send pic's of the 54 and the 63 when I take them.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:party:
You can email the pictures to me if you like. But I can EASILY teach you how to use the gallery. It is very easy. All you gotta do is click onto the gallery and click "Upload Photos." You can either create your own album or just add them to the appropriate category. All you do is click browse and upload from your harddrive. If you run into trouble or just want us to do it, that isn't a problem. We want to see them no matter how they get there!!!!!!

Mike Terry
03-11-2006, 03:01 PM
If it stops raining here today I will try to take some pic's or the 63 and the 54 and send them to someone to have them post for me.

Tarzan Boy
03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Congratulations. That's great. I am jealous. I have always loved those split window corvettes. Tarzan Boy.